Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Things I learned about God while cheating at cards

Okay, not REALLY cheating. I like to play Spider Solitaire on the computer. My favorite moves are “undo” and “restart game”. Is it really cheating if you’re playing against yourself? Sometimes I undo back more than ten moves. Sometimes I play the same game again and again until I get it right. When I’ve re-played the same game a few times, making “all the right moves”, I try it with all the “wrong moves” and often succeed with that. I’m convinced that there is a way to win at every game. It’s weird I know, but late at night I sometimes imagine that I’m playing Solitaire with God. Can I still call it solitaire? One day it hit me that maybe He can even use my solitaire addiction to teach me a few things. Here are some things I’ve learned:

  1. You can always win, you’ve just got to keep trying. You don’t know what’s coming next.
  2. We have no concept of time when playing solitaire. Maybe that’s like God’s time. What may seem like a long time to us is a blink of an eye to God.
  3. Sometimes the most unlikely or “wrong” move, like those God sometimes tells you to make, (”lean not on your own understanding”) may be the one that that is the most helpful to you or someone else.
  4. It’s fun when someone claps for you-even the computer (God loves praise, but he also claps for us and loves us to do well).
  5. Solitaire wastes a lot of time that could be better spent reading my Bible, serving others, praying, or doing my homework.
  6. In the end, it’s just a game, and God still loves you.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Nancy, I would never have publicly admitted my addiction to this game had I not read your comments! Undo is also my favorite move - and have always felt that I didn't really win using it - but you are so right. Life is that game, and God does give us the opportunity to "undo" in his eyes. Now if we could all just let the "undo" work in our relationship with others and get rid of some of the old "fits and feuds" we carry with us!