Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Miracles of Lionel Richie

This summer Val and I were driving home from Jena's and having a deep discussion about Mother and how we so wanted to be sure she was with her parents and happy. I took this opportunity to tell her about how God often gives me messages through the radio (as I mentioned in an earlier post). Right after that, a Lionel Richie song (one of Val and Mother's favorites) came on the radio. The song "Stuck on You" included lines: Guess I'm on my way, Been a fool too long I guess it's time for me to come on home, Oh I'm leaving on that midnight train tomorrow and I know just where I'm going, I've packed up all my troubles and I've thrown them all away (love this part!), I'm coming home to stay. And the way I feel now I guess I'll be with you 'til the end, guess I'm on my way Mighty glad you stayed." When the song was over, the DJ said the song was for her parents from their daughter, Nancy. Valerie's comment: "Show off!" I loved that. God is so faithful. A few weeks later, on Halloween, I was getting ready to go home to Wellington and trying to decide if I should stop and put a Mounds bar on Mother's grave. Lionel came on the radio singing "Stuck on You" again-and he is never on the radio anymore so what's with this! I went. Then, all alone on New Year's Eve, I turned on CBS to watch the ball drop. Guess who was there? Good old Lionel. Happy New Year Mother. I'm glad you're happy.

3 comments:

Karen Smith said...

Hmmm....I wondered who left the Mounds bar on your Mom's grave. Figured it was you or your dad. When I saw it, it reminded me that Marge and I never fought over chocolate...she only wanted dark, I only wanted milk chocolate. I was at the cemetery Saturday. And you're right, there's just no such thing as a coincidence! Cousin Karen

Nancy G. said...

I'm a milk chocolate girl too! We have so much in common.

Kris said...

I know this is old - but had to get my opinion in - I am with Marge! Dark chocolate forever.
(But if I am not mistaken, a Mounds bar has nuts and/or coconut, both of which would have kept me away from any she had stashed!)