Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Little Miracle and November

A little miracle happened today. Dave decided to go ahead and change to the 2009 calendar and asked if I wanted 2008 (he doesn't know I have calendars from the last 20 years or more!). This has been a rough year for me and I looked back on the September page. The only item written for the entire month was "funeral" on September 2. But as I looked at the calendar page, something caught my eye. The picture from that month was a small country church not unlike ours, where we went after Mother's funeral. Behind the church was a rainbow-a symbol of God's promise. I do not remember this being the picture for the month and I can't believe I would not have noticed. I've been feeling kind of down lately and have been watching for a little sign of God's love. As many of you know, I definitely do get messages from God, although usually through the car radio. I think this calendar page was my sign, a prayer answered, a little miracle just for me. Some of you may also know that my "one little word" for this year was HOPE. I think it quite fitting that God gives me this huge message of HOPE on the last day of the year. I've needed it. My key verse, Jeremiah 29:11 reads:
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

To all of you/us: Don't give up. I think my little word for 2009 may be GRATITUDE. Not sure yet, but seems like a good one. There are some great verses to go with that one.


So December is almost over, as is 2008. I like the idea of choosing photos that depict the month. I plan to go back and do the other months as well. I just finished November. I've got to get better at taking pictures when I have company! I've missed a lot of photo ops lately.

Photo notes (left to right)
1. Mikayla's new computer obsession. Dress-up doll sites.
2. Mikayla and our neighbor friend, Samantha, playing with ice balls for my sabbatical video project.
3. Daddy on Shelly's old, totally rusted bicycle-the one she taught me to ride on. Can you believe he still has it? And he brought it from Florida to Illinois in about 1969! Isn't that 40 years ago!
4. Mik and a friend at school.
5. Place card Mik made for the Thanksgiving table.
6. Our snowy street. WTF-this much snow, cold and ice in November?
7. Christmas planner book. Do you think I was more organized? Maybe, but I didn't think so on December 23.
8. Santa with a giraffe statue I had sent to Mother one year and is now part of my Santa collection. When Mother opened it, everyone HATED it and it was a big joke from then on! I used it to decorate for Christmas the week after Thanksgiving.
9. Our shoebox of goodies sent to "a child with no toys".

Note to Susan and Val: Aren't you glad I posted Santa with the giraffe? He looks great at my house, no matter what you all think of him!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy. This story, "A Little Miracle" meant so much to me. (I think I had a little miracle a few days ago,too,about Tom.) You write very well. You must keep doing it as I am sure your writing does give HOPE and GRATITUDE to all who read it and "want it to." And I would love to see your Santa with a giraffe! Have a great 2009. Love, Cousin Karen